Niagara University | Clet Dining Hall
About the Project
In August of 2015, BHNT was commissioned by Niagara University in Niagara Falls, New York to lead the design of the Renovation and Expansion for the University's Clet Dining Hall. BHNT worked collaboratively with the owner to improve the overall dining experience at Niagara University and meet the increased demands for on-campus events and banquet facilities. Students were invited to participate in the presentation for the new dining hall and vote on concepts for the interior design. Niagara University will open the completely renovated (and expanded) dining hall in the Fall of 2016.
The 18,000-square-foot dining hall will feature a number of improvements, including:
- An open kitchen concept with new presentation cooking and serving areas.
- New seating options, including banquette/booth seating, a mix of round, rectangular and square tables and chairs, lounge seating within the dining area, and high-top tables with bar stool seating.
- A new patio with green space, patio-style tables and chairs, flowering planters, and a rain barrel to support 875 square feet of green space for container plantings of herbs and native plants.
- A new dining addition with seating for 250 for sit-down dining. The addition can also be used for as a theater-style set-up for 278, with a projector and large presentation screen.
- Large view windows with low-e, solar control glass.
- Mobile device charging stations, and digital televisions and displays.
- The new dining facility will also have a focus on energy efficiency. The facility will feature new rooftop units, kitchen equipment, and a dish washing machine, all of which will save utility expense.
During design, BHNT worked collaboratively with Metz Culinary Management, the dining hall operator, as well as the following subconsultants on this project:
- IBC Engineering, PC (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumping & Fire Protection)
- Siracuse Engineers, PC (Structural Engineering)
- WM Schutt Associates, PC (Civil Engineering)
- Nussbaumer & Clarke, Inc. (Topographic/Utility Mapping)
- CME Associates, Inc. (Test Borings)
- Baer & Associates, LLC (Cost Estimating)
- Tallinger Associates LLC (Food Service)
Construction of Clet Dining Hall began on April 11th and will continue through the summer. Niagara University's newly renovated and expanded dining hall will open in the Fall of 2016.